Kitchens, in order to be complete and highly efficient, need to have the best kitchen appliances and equipment. And one of the simplest yet most important elements is the chopping board, especially if you’re fond of cooking for large number of family members. A well-known form of chopping board is the butcher block, which is commonly in designs of assembled wood used often for heavy duty chopping blocks, cutting boards and table tops.
Such type of chopping board was originally designed for meat market and butcher shops but with its undoubted efficiency and convenience in cooking, this board has now been demanded by most homes in the US as well as in other countries. Aside from being an effective kitchen equipment, butcher block is now also perceived as additional kitchen decoration, setting as tables and even storage shelves.
Common Types of Butcher Block
Edge Grain Butcher Block, also known as long grain block and is often used in making common cutting board. This butcher block is often crafted by combining pieces of wood altogether with the edge grain turned up. However, edge grain blocks are not as versatile as compared to other types, which is why it is one of the cheapest options you could have.
End Grain Block, known as the traditional block due to its ability to withstand heavy dicing, cutting and chopping making it a more versatile option for homeowners. Users who have kitchen top are recommended to have this style of butcher block.
Oil Finish, this is often preferred by professional chefs and butchers because of its excellent features including being highly hygienic and extremely durable.
Varnished Finish, a popular option because of its defined aesthetics. It is also more convenient to sanitize as well as more stain resistant.
Keeping Butcher Block Sanitized
In order to keep the foods you’re chopping and cutting using the butcher block as healthy as possible, you definitely have to keep it sanitized to ensure cleanliness of food aside from purposes of longevity.
• Seasoning the butcher block is definitely one of the first steps you have to consider. This will help in preventing it from getting stained, absorbing unhealthy particles as well as bad odors, which can be simply achieved from foods including fish, onions, cheese and the like.
• The surface should always be kept oiled in order to seal the wood, but never use cooking or vegetable oil for this as it may damage the surface.
• Using a soft lint and fresh cloth for seasoning is also recommended.
• Before wiping off after each application, you have to wait for several hours before the next application.
• Preventing cross contamination could be done by washing it off with mild dishwashing soap and hot water. Avoid using chemically-based cleaning materials.
• Always use dish towel or a clean sponge for scrubbing the surface as well as when drying it.
• You can also use a white vinegar or hydrogen peroxide every after use to disinfect the surface.
Long-term Benefits of this Cutting Board
You should know that with proper maintenance and sanitation, you could practically experience the long-term benefits of butcher block including ability to oppose bacteria as well as scratch and stain. And with the kind of qualities of this product, you can be absolutely sure that it is a good kitchen appliance investment.